P240Z Passenger Seat!
Well, after figuring out that the seat mounts I had made earlier in the week wouldn't fit I went back out to work on the 240Z this morning with a bitter taste in my mouth.
I started off with a few quick pictures of what I had put together the other day.
From there I removed the Corbeau brackets and started grinding the welds down on the tabs that I had added to the cross braces. I removed all four tabs with little trouble. Being that I haven't welded much before, this was the first time I'd had to remove a weld, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Here is the end result after removing the tabs.
From there I got smart, I decided to do a bit more test fitting of the seat before I did any more welding. I attached the Corbeau bracket back to the seat and put it in the car, using towels to keep the seat clean.
For the new positioning I decided the seat brackets basically needed to come forward in the car 4 to 5 inches from the original tabs I had made. With the two cross braces in place I wasn't comfortable making tabs that long and with little support, so I installed two more cross braces into the car, in front of the two existing braces.
These two new braces were each welded at the body, and then to the original (from earlier this week) brace in the middle, actually reusing the tabs I had recently removed to add some support in the middle. I then welded on new tabs, this time spanning both braces on each half of the seat, adding support to the tab, as well as making the tab 2" wide instead of 1.5" as I had originally made. This should create for better support of the seat brackets. Here are the photos of the newly created tabs and cross braces.
I position and drilled holes for the Corbeau bracket in the new tabs, visible in the latter photos above.
After getting all of this setup I was anxious to get the seat in the car and see how she fit. To get the seat in the car I had to mount the Corbeau bracket directly to the seat with 4 bolts that will go through the new tabs in place. I wrapped the seat in towels and put on some clean latex gloves so that I wouldn't get the fabric dirty from all my gunk.
In order to actually thread the nuts on the rear bolts I have to tilt the seat backward, for now this is alright, but when I actually go to use the seat this won't work well. What I think I'll do is get a combination of some rubber and metal washers, which I think will allow me to tighten the rear nuts down and still be able to tilt the base of the seat back a bit, once tight, lower the front of the seat into it's tabs and tighten up the bolts there. The front tabs are easy to access, the rear tabs, not so much. Anyways, here are the photos of the seat in the car.
Tomorrow I'll be installing the driver's seat, most likely in the same manner as the passenger side, I'll also be starting on mounting the fuel cell, cutting out sections of the rear floorpan, and then fabricating a frame for the cell to sit in. The ultimate goal for this 15 Gallon cell is to build a frame that will allow me to easily remove the fuel cell and install a smaller cell. Using the larger cell for Time Trial and HPDE events, and having a 5 gallon cell to use for autocross events, saving weight in the rear of the car.