Welcome to Project240Z.com

Project240z.com Welcome to the website for the Datsun Project 240Z
1973 Datsun 240Z
Motor 1983 L28ET 1978 L28E (plus a turbo)
Transmission 5 Speed out of a 78 280Z 2+2
Autocross Class No Clue
Status: First Motor Destroyed! Car Now Sold
Outlook: Green
YouTube Video Views: too many to count!
Twitter: Follow the project!

Check out the new project at www.project350z.com

Well it did run for about 10 seconds on Saturday, then I redid the wire for the VR sensor and created some problems. So I redid the wiring tonight, and went to start it.
Then the starter did this....

It quit engaging so I pulled it out and it fell apart as I was lifting it out of the car. Fortunately this cheap POS is under a lifetime warranty from Autozone, so they are ordering the part in, I’ll pick it up when I get back home from the lake trip this weekend. Hopefully I will attempt to start the car again on Sunday.

Working on the car today. Rewired the VR sensor and installed the radiator. Worked on front air dam, and put the exhaust on. Tried to start it, need to rewire the VR sensor again :(

No luck getting the car running today, will get some supplies this week and prolly attempt again on Wednesday.

So today we had a garage sale, nothing that resides in the garage was actually sold, but we did sell a lot of stuff that we wanted to get rid of before the move. Post sale the 240Z got some love. Here's the timeline, without times.

Attempt to start the car as is, no dice, turns over but won't fire.

Remove the VR sensor, rewire it the opposite way. Nothing, no signal, looks like the EDIS doesn't see it at all anymore.

Remove VR sensor plug, replace with a different plug, from the box of EDIS supplies.

Crank, what, what you want me to start? Okay, vroom vroom

Run around like a chicken with my head cut off, call Whittle and tell him the news.

Put a fan on top of the car to blow out all the smoke from the garage

Crank crank, damnit, won't start, flooded.

Remove the plugs, dry them off, crank it without plugs to try to get rid of fuel, whoops forgot to turn off the injectors

Turnoff injectors, crank it again, blow out the cylinders with air from the compressor

Insert plugs, wires

Crank crank vroom vroom vroom, turbo whistle

It was a successful day!

So tomorrow I'll get the radiator back on the car, and put the exhaust system on the car, and we'll see what she does then. The car is nowhere near done, but it feels great to have a car that starts again!!!

So I spoke with my Megasquirt Guru last week a few times, and again this weekend, and even had him show up in my driveway to help wrench on the car today!

So yesterday I got up and checked to see if the 36-1 wheel for the Megasquirt (using Ford EDIS) was correctly mounted, meaning, should the mounting have changed due to moving from the 1983 motor, to the 1978 motor. I removed the radiator in order to get to the front of the motor, draining it out was probably a good idea. We had put water in last weekend when getting things ready to start, well the water was pretty darn rusty and dirty when I took it out yesterday, probably need to do that a few more times just to make sure everything gets flushed from the radiator (sitting for 2 years) and the block, which has been sitting for 6 or more years (2+ since it last ran, longer since it actually was used much).

After getting the radiator out of the way I was able to confirm that TDC on the 78 motor is the same as the 83 motor, which makes things easier, I don’t have to have the pulley and 36-1 wheel modified, but it didn’t get me any closer to figuring out why I can’t get the car started.

I ended up bring in the Megasquirt inside so I could hook it up to my Stim and the laptop to figure out if I could see why I was getting a weird RPM signal from it when the computer was hooked up. I wasn’t able to do much there either, but Andy Whittle told me to bring the squirt and the Laptop over to his house on Sunday and he would help me out. Natalie and I went to the gun range, and afterward I had a voicemail from Andy, he was on the way up to my house, talk about service! Andy and I spent a few hours in the garage working on things.

We ended up figuring out that the squirt/stim worked fine on his laptop, which meant that it was a software or hardware issue on my laptop, not the megasquirt. From there he adjusted the fuel map quite a bit, we seemed to be flooding the motor so we dropped a lot of fuel, took all the plugs out and cranked it, trying to get fuel out if it was truly flooded, not much came out.

All in all we weren’t too successful, but we did get it to almost fire up a few times. A few times we got some nice big backfires, once enough that pressure came up through one of the cutouts in the driver’s side floorboard, enough to make my foot jump off the floor. I ended up removing the VR sensor from the 36-1 wheel at Andy’s suggestion and installed a new one, though the plug is backwards on it, so later this week I’ll try it out again, as well as try rewiring the sensor. These sensors are very picky, so we’re not sure if that’s the problem, or something else, but hopefully rewiring it will correct it and the car will start up! Hopefully right? :D

Huge thanks to Whittle for the help today.

I spent the morning with Dave and Terec helping to finish buttoning up items on the 240Z so we could attempt to start it today. We were successful in getting to the point of attempting to start it, though we weren't successful in actually getting it started, there's an issue or two that I need to track down. Likely issues with timing and firing for the Megasquirt. Because the last time I had the car running was back in August 2007 I've now got a new laptop and don't have it configured for the Megasquirt. I'm hoping to get it setup tonight and try to hook it up tomorrow to see what I find.

Here's the video from today's work.

If you’re bored this weekend give me a ring! I’m going to spend this weekend getting the motor into the 240Z, and depending on how fast that progresses maybe even get the fuel and electronics hooked up to it and attempt to start it! Interested? :D I could use all the help I can get.

So I spent most of the day today in the garage, the first time I've done that in probably 20 months, it was nice! Thanks to Dave for coming over and helping me out for a bit, if he hadn't come over I wouldn't have gotten all that I did, done.

Here's what all was accomplished today.

  • Alternator completely mounted
  • Coolant line run and gasket created
  • Rear main seal replaced
  • Clutch installed
  • Transmission installed
  • EDIS pulley mounted
  • Turbo mounted

The motor is pretty much ready to go into the car now, I just need to finish prepping the transmission cross member by putting in the new bushings, put the motor mounts on, and slide it in the engine bay!

Here's today's video, though we missed the lowering of the motor off the engine stand, the battery died on the camera and I didn't realize.

And a few pictures at the end of the day

Turbo for the Datsun Turbo for the Datsun The engine reassembled

After class tonight I spent 30 minutes working on the Datsun. I removed the taillights, which I'd not done before. I was pleasantly surprised as I didn't find any rust.Here are the before and after photos.

Before removing the tail lights by chrishammondRemoved the tail lights by chrishammond

I also took some video and uploaded it to YouTube

Spent an hour or two yesterday, working in the garage. Cleaned off the hood of the car, which was buried. After that I spent some time cleaning off the workbench, which was also buried. Lots of junk thrown away, and other junk organized.

I even got working on car parts, taking apart the intake manifold and trying to get it cleaned up. It was full of chunks of metal from the explosion back in the summer of 2007. I think I finally got it cleaned up, and I hope to put the intake back together this week, and maybe even get started on putting it on the motor.